Life in Japan: Spooky Season, Japan Style

I love Halloween. Maybe it's because I was one of those girls who had that weird supernatural/witch/vampire obsession phase Maybe it's because I enjoy dressing up in costume. Or maybe it's because I find a lot of other seasonal holidays are extremely overrated.

But in my opinion, Halloween is great!

So of course, I was intrigued to find out more about how Halloween is celebrated in Japan.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know much about the origins of Halloween, so I can't say how it fits into Japanese or Western culture. All I know is that in England, Halloween is overshadowed by Christmas - with shops starting to stock seasonal items for both events at pretty much the same time (as soon as the 'Back to School' displays are taken down in September).

But with Japan lacking the religious influence that makes Christmas seem so much more important and holding a penchant for adopting Western things (and making them better), I figured Japan's take on Halloween would be an interesting experience.

One of the most noticeable things, is how the adult side of things is much more well catered for. Like, there were a few large Halloween parties taking place in the area that seemed to be well-organised and popular with more than just the university crowd (the only people who would go to club-organised Halloween parties in the UK).

Personally, I saw only the Halloween party that my place of work threw (and even then I only saw the outside of it as I was stuck outside running a makeshift cloakroom) and a brief bit of a party in a club, that was much like any club night with the addition of decorations, costumes and sexy nurses offering shots (the alcoholic kind).

But even then, the zest with which people threw themselves into the Halloween spirit, through costumes and such, was vividly apparent. Far more so than at home, where Halloween seems to be largely regarded as a kids event.

On the kids front, I can’t say I’m really aware, because I spent most of the week of Halloween some combination of drunk, hungover, working and sleeping. I do know that the bar I work in also held a kids party in the daytime and that my brothers attended some sort of organised trick-or-treating event, where they visited stalls and received sweets at each stall.

As far as I’m aware my flat received no trick-or-treaters, so maybe these organised events are Japan’s alternative.

Certainly, I felt spookier than I’ve ever felt this Halloween, as everywhere was appropriately decorated, shops contained so many special seasonal sweets and other items and on the Friday night, I got to go to work dressed as Loki.

Comments

Popular Posts