The Tourist-y Bit: Things to do in Nagoya

Before truly settling in to the real-life aspect of my move to Nagoya (you know, the bit where you actually do real life things, such as get a job), I thought that it would be best to take the opportunity to appreciate my lack of ties and be a tourist in my own city.

The thing about Nagoya, though, is that it has been described as 'the most boring city in Japan'. 

Nagoya Castle
Internet searches show little more to do than the shopping district of Osu and Nagoya Castle. Real-life searched show perhaps a little more than the internet, but still, one has to really look if they want to find the interesting things to do in Nagoya.

Or, alternatively, you could just stay up-to-date with this blog, as after searching long and hard, I've found a few interesting things to do (and for the next year or so I will continue looking for things to do).

So let's start with the obvious, and as I find things that are less obvious I'll add them too.


  • Nagoya Castle - Pretty much what you'd expect, a Japanese castle (currently undergoing restoration), occasionally someone dressed as a Samaurai to take photos with, and lots of tourists.  
    Osu Kannon

  • Osu Shopping District - A more traditional, yet undeniably quirky shopping arcade filled with an odd mix of vintage clothing stores, themed cafes, and  electrical stores.
  • Nagoya Sky Promenade - If you'd like to see the whole of Japan's most boring city, this is the place to do it. On the 46th floor, you'll have quite a view.
  • Rinku Beach - It's a beach, it has sand and the sea. The usual beachy things. 
  • Nittai-ji Temple - There's not much more here than a temple.
  • Togan-ji Temple - The main feature of this temple would be the impressive Green Buddha, however there is a lot more to the temple than one statue.
  • Sakae - A less cultural experience, Sakae is the best area for shopping and retail. 
  • LEGOLAND Japan - I was about three when I went to LEGOLAND Windsor Resort and I can't remember any of it. Probably, it wasn't as good as LEGOLAND Japan. 
  • Inuyama Castle - We’re heading outside of Nagoya, but near enough that I felt I could include it on this list. Inuyama Castle is a nice little castle based in the city of Inuyama (what?! really?!), with also a nice street leading to the castle. 
  • Shirotori Garden - A sizeable Japanese garden, where you can feed the koi fish - something I found especially exciting. 
Nagoya may be known as Japan's most boring city, but in a country as energetic and vibrant as Japan, every city has a lot of things to do.  


Green Buddha at Togan-ji Temple

Comments

Popular Posts