The Tourist-y Bit: Osu Shopping District

Basic Info 

Location 
Guys, come on, it's located in an area of Nagoya called Osu. 
Opening Hours
Well, I mean the streets are open all the time, but the shops probably close whatever time normal shops close. 
Cost
Well, I guess 0 yen, if you're just looking.

Ellie's General Opinion - 6.5/10
You know what, I don't actually feel like this place is that much of a tourist attraction. Like sure, it comes up on TripAdvisor but... is it that much of an attraction? That said, you do see a fair amount of tourists around here. What can I say, after all I'm not actually a tourist?
Instagrammability  - 6/10
Hit up the right ice cream shop and I'm sure you could find something to post to the 'gram but the streets themselves are pretty basic and the nearby temple, Osu Kannon, is pretty much your average small Japanese temple.
Stereotypical Cringey Tourist-ness - 7.5/10
There's always a bunch of tourists around here, so you'll fit right in. 
Cultural Appreciation Points  - 5/10
Thrift shops with imported American goods? Sooo Japanese. 

Would I actually count this as a tourist attraction? Probably not. It's more like somewhere I'd go on a Saturday to shop, chat and drink coffee with my friends, if I had any out here. Yet tourists do seem to like it; I often see American families passing through, taking photos of things that for some reason deserve a photo (I often have no idea what it is they're photographing, but each to their own).

So I guess Osu could best be described as Sakae's (Sakae being the area of Nagoya best for shopping big brands like Forever 21) edgy sister. I mean, there's a lot of vintage shops there and it reminds me a little of Bristol's Park Street (truly the place to be in Bristol for hipsters and angsty teens) but a Japanese version (though both have vintage stores, froyo and ice cream shops, and places to buy boba tea).

I guess to put it simply, if I was a tourist with limited time, I wouldn't bother with this area. I mean, the shopping streets in Kyoto are much better, especially for souvenirs, something that Osu is lacking in.

Alas, I am not actually a tourist, my time is far from limited, and I do genuinely enjoy my trips to Osu, after all the area does sport some interesting shops and food stalls. Also it has the added bonus of Osu Kannon, which does make for a decent background for any photos of your boba tea that you might want to take, just beware of the pigeons that for some godforsaken reason people often decide to feed.




Comments

Popular Posts