I’m Home, or at Least a Place that Used to be Home

I’m home, well, I’m back in a place that I used to call home. Perhaps, then, you’d think that I’d be calling this blog to end, after all, I am no longer in an ‘Unnatural Habitat’ (though, the concrete jungle of Nagoya was a habitat that soon felt very natural to me).

You’d be wrong. I will be continuing the blog in a more travel-blog-esque way, detailing my travels (or budget family holidays, I’m not one of those digital travel nomads with a seemingly endless amount of cash and beautiful Instagram) as well as writing about more local spots as if I were a tourist in my own home (which I could be, considering I haven’t been ‘home’ for a year).

Also, being the disorganised person I am, I still have plenty of content based on my Japan experiences that I will get round to writing about (hopefully!).

What have I been up to since arriving home, anyway?

For a start, I’ve decided that Nagoya is more like home than Portishead, considering I’ve spent a pretty formative year there, you know, developing from a small-town sheltered teen to a (admittedly very) young adult. It’s clear that I feel at home wandering the streets of Nagoya, more so than Portishead. I can leave my house with no clear agenda and know that I will find something to do or someone to meet. I feel comfortable doing nothing. That feeling of ease, to me, is what home is.

Portishead, the town in which I was raised, holds its place in my life regardless. In fact, when I was sat in my window seat on the plane, looking down, and I first caught a glimpse of the British landscape it felt a lot more homely than I expected and a small tear trickled down my cheek. Admittedly, not as many tears as when I drank in my last views of the Nagoya cityscape, but a small tear nonetheless.

In terms of actual getting out and doing stuff, well, bugger that. I am not paying £7 to get a bus, it’s immoral. Where, oh where, are my ¥200 subway tickets? Seriously, what is up with that?

Slowly, anyway, I am reacquainting myself with the British way of life, substituting boba tea for English breakfast tea and rice for potatoes.

Fortunately, my small town living will be short-lived, as I’ll be moving to Cardiff in September. On top of that, I’ll be spending a couple of weeks in France, so I really won’t be in this place that used to be home for long and I can’t wait to find the next place that I’ll call home.


Comments

Popular Posts